Wednesday 12 May 2010

My first trip to Asia - wow!

I made my first ever trip to Asia in October 2006. I'd always heard that Asia was a pretty cool place to visit. For my first visit I chose somewhere relatively safe and easy to explore - Hong Kong.

I wasn't disappointed - Hong Kong is a magnificent tourist destination. Many people only visit Hong Kong for a few days, usually as a stopover on the way to Australia, New Zealand or Bali. This is a shame, as Hong Kong has a lot to offer. I was there for almost a fortnight, yet I didn't run out of things to see and do.

Here are some highlights of my trip to Hong Kong:

Hong Kong is easy to get around thanks to the cheap and efficient public transport. This was my first introduction to the incredibly efficient public transportation networks that exist in many Asian countries.
The 10,000 Buddha Monastery was really interesting, even if the footpath leading to it was behind an Ikea superstore! The walk up the steep steps was hard work in the sub-tropical heat.

Snoopy World in Sha Tin new town was a bizzare but fun place to visit.

The Ocean Park theme park was well worth a visit, especially as they have two Giant Pandas!

Cheung Chau island was one of my favourite places in Hong Kong - it's a short ferry ride away from Hong Kong Island.

My first trip to Asia was a total success! I was hooked. I did not know it, but I would return to Asia the following year...

No comments:

Post a Comment